Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

South Carolina striper regulations considered

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  khary23 
#1 ·
"In a move that clashes with South Carolina's don't-tell-me-what-to-do mentality, a coalition of fishing guides, tourism officials and anglers is pleading with the Legislature to place more restrictions on catching striped bass. . . ."

In today's state newspaper. the link:

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/314436.html

#3 ·
Re: Sc strper regs considered

Did you see that they have a three fish a day limit @ 26". That's crazy. I really think we need a coast wide 1 fish a day slot limit with no fishing during the spawing period. I was pretty young in the eighties but don't want to see a repeat.

#11 ·

Did you see that they have a three fish a day limit @ 26". That's crazy. I really think we need a coast wide 1 fish a day slot limit with no fishing during the spawing period. .
O yeah thats a good idea that would end fishing the Hudson river north of the GW bridge for the six weeks upstate gets to fish them. And only are able to keep one a day. Then the ocean and the sound guys who get a two a day limit can slam even more fish for the 8 months stripers hang there. Then my son and I could take up knitting for the spring run. We didn't like striper fishing anyway I'd rather get some half pound blue gills.

#4 ·

Maine has a slot size for keepers. You are allowed 1 fish per day.
20" to 26" or over 40". 27" to 39" must be put back. Those are the healthy breeders. I like the 24" to 26" for eating. I always put back the real big ones. For once it seems that the Div. of Marine Fisheries got it right. Since the rule change of 1 fish of over 36" to the "slot(s)" there have been an abundance of fish.

M I M

#5 ·

I would do it a little different than Main. I would have the slot between 26" and 34". the large fish carry far more eggs than the smaller.

But its good to see Maine taking a step in the right direction.

#6 ·

We had the slot here in NJ a couple of years ago, why they did away with it I don't know. I'm pretty sure it was 2 @ 24-28 or one @ 24-28 and one over 36.

#7 ·

if ya think about it the whole fishery is in jeopardy down the road. there are millions of them now but disease and pressure will begin to take it;s toll with irregular coastal regs. 24-28 - 18" up the hudson - 2 at 28 - 1 28+ 1 40 etc. just not appropriate for a potential sport fish imo.

#8 ·

I agree with you 100%. The problem is that there are milloins of knuckle heads out there who don't think about the future.

#9 ·
Re: Trophy bass has all but disappeared from the Marion-Moultrie lakes.

Governor helps bass

Notes
Governor helps bass
S.C. Gov. Mark Sanford has signed new striped bass regulations into effect for the Santee-Cooper Reservoir system. The regulations are a first step to combat the population decline of the striped bass fishery Lakes Marion and Moultrie by reducing the amount of fish an angler can harvest, as well as increasing the minimum size limits.New regulations include:
• Reduction in creel limits from five to three.
• Increase in minimum size from 21 to 26 inches.
• Season restrictions for entire Santee Cooper system (lakes and rivers): no harvest/possession. Catch and release only from June 1-Sept.30.
• Points system: increase to 14 points for violation.
• Striped bass must be landed with head and tail intact enabling enforcement officers to measure complete fish.
The waters to which the new regulations will apply are limited to the Santee-Cooper system. This includes the waters of the Lower Santee River system, or all waters and tributaries seaward of the Lake Murray Dam, the Columbia Canal Diversion Dam, and the Lake Wateree Dam to the freshwater/saltwater dividing line on the North Santee River and the South Santee River. Additional waters affected by this bill include the Cooper River System, which includes all waters and tributaries of the Cooper River, including the Tailrace Canal, from its point of origin seaward to the freshwater/saltwater dividing line.

#10 ·
Kharry said:
Did you see that they have a three fish a day limit @ 26". That's crazy
Its a bit different in the stocked impoundments than it is in the salt.
Someplaces have limits of like 30 fish a day. They must be taken out for the overall health of the stocked population. The Santee cooper system in South Carolina is unique however. It is one of the very few landlocked systems that have self sustaining poulation of breeding fish. It also gets stocked with millions of fingerlings.
They considered introducing hybrids but have rejected that. They would like to bring back the purebred population to its earlier levels.
Obviously they are facing some of the problems of the Coastal stock during the 80's. Now a 3 a day limit at 26 doesnt look so crazy at all to them when it had been 5.

#12 · (Edited)

Finny has a point, khary- if you elimininate fishing during spawning you totally eliminate Hudson River Spring Run fishing, which is the only form of Striper fishing that I and thousands of other fishermen do with any regularity (when the Run is on)-especially with gas costing what it does now making trips to the sea shore economically difficult if not impossible.

And no, we are not willing to "suck it up for a year or two" and not fish "so the stocks can regenerate" or some such nonsense.

It is plainly the fault of the commercial fishing industry operating IN THE OCEAN that fish stocks of countless different types of fish, including Stripers, are decimated on a global scale.

For true positive change to come about, THEY are the ones who must change their ways.

And the only way they will is if they are forced to.

Enough of taking advantage of the recreational fisherman's willingness to help through self-sacrifice and "take one for the team" in an effort to aid ailing populations, when they are not themselves the reason for the problem.

Straight up- it is just another example of GREED on the part of the few negatively affecting the situation of the many-

Anyway, fixing the Striped Bass "problem" starts with taking on the Big Guys and forcing them to change THEIR ways through regulation, not asking the little guy to bend over and take it unlubed.

#13 ·
I don't agree with the two fish limit from shore or boat. I think it should be one a day on the entire coast.
For you Hudson guys maybe a slot limit that would curtail the taking of the big breeding females. That way you still get fish and the population is also protected.

About commercial over fishing. I used to think just like you do until I took a look at the landings. Us recreational fishermen take far more than the commercial guys do. We have become the problem these days.

#14 ·
Hey khary,

It was REAL hot when I typed that message, I was in a bad mood, etc.
I came off a little abrupt.
I would be interested in any links you may have regarding the number of Stripers caught by recreational fishermen and related stuff.
I am interested in what information and sources brought you to your current perspective on the issue.
Thanks in advance for the information.

Peace!

Shorebound

#15 ·
Shorbie. Whats up dude?

This thread a good reference of the stock assessment by the ASMFC Entitled
Striped bass stocks are healthy
Dated February 08
New York harvests (11 percent) of the total
pdf chart of harvested and dead discards
Recreational and commercial 1988 to 2006

According to the ASMFC, total striped bass harvest (commercial and recreational) in 2006 was estimated at 3.82 million fish, a 46-percent increase from 2002.
At 62 percent of the total Maryland accounted for a sizeable share of the commercial harvest.
The recreational catch, including discard losses, accounted for 79 percent of the total fishery removals in 2006, according to the ASMFC. Maryland recreational fisheries harvested 24 percent of total recreational landings in number, followed by Virginia (22 percent), New Jersey (18 percent), Massachusetts (12 percent), and New York (11 percent).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.