Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Bakersfield Aqueduct

48K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  fiB 
#1 ·
Hi All, this is my first post on this site. I would like to say hello. I am new to fishing the aqueduct, and I have caught a few stripers (very few:redbiggrin:), but I would like to hopefully start catching more. So I wanted to start this thread for people that fish the Aqueduct in the Bakersfield and surrounding areas to share tips, reports, and other info so maybe we can all start cathing a few more. I'll start with the last day I was out at the duct on Friday (1/2/08) at the gates across from the golf course near Taft the water was not moving I didn't get a bite however a few people around me caught some on anchovies. I was using chicken liver but no bites, and I also had a lipless crank bait (American shad pattern) that has worked in the past but no takers that day. Anyone have any advise? I'm getting kind of burned out at this spot at the duct and I wanted to know if here was anywhere else in or around Bakersfield I could try? Thanks.

#2 ·
Hello csubmatt,
Welcome aboard!
There are a lot of people that fish the aqueduct out in Bakersfield.
I have a website that might help you check it out. Just click on the blue underline aqueductfishing below my name.
Dodoman and a few others here that also fish the aqueduct. It has changed a lot due to water not running as much as it was and now they are cutting back on the water flow 10% more this year. Why? cause of the small smelt fish that are protected, also lack of water. I fish the aqueduct here in Palmdale. I have used the Shad L-Rattle Traps 3/4 oz and the Shad Storm baits at wal-mart. Late at night has been doing good here after 10:55 pm so far, that will change too. The fish are getting use to water not flowing as much and the cold weather. Good luck out there and Happy New Year to you and yours.

#3 ·
I drove through Bakersfield a few months ago, on a cross country trip. Stayed the night too. While I regret not trying the 24 hour mexican food shack by the motel, I can't believe I missed some striper fishing too.

To my ingnorant eyes it looked to be all beach and no Ocean out there. Now I know better.

Good luck guys.

#5 ·
There are a bunch of places to fish the duct around Bakersfield, and if you ask me, one of the worst places is across from the golf course. Yes, I said it. I realize a lot of big fish have been caught there, but an awful lot of fishing pressure too. A friend of mine has caught 4 stripers over 40 lbs from that area, but that was years ago.
Try the gates at Tupman and the gates off of Freborn road. Both sets are really close to the golf course. Lots of siphons from the golf course to the grapevine. Sometimes big fish are at the siphons. Try grates where the water is pulled from the aqueduct. Those grates house Tule Perch which come out to play at night and the big fish kinow it.
Most of all put in a lot of time and throw big lures, bucktail jigs and leave the bait at home. It will catch you lots of small fish, but not many big ones.
I would venture to say, I have fished the California aqueduct as much if not more than almost anyone in the last 10 years. There are big fish to be had, but it takes a lot of time and effort.
Good luck. BTW, my best year fishing the aqueduct yielded 55 fish over 10 lbs, lots of those over 20 lbs, so the fish are there.

#6 ·
Hello Dan,
I do know that the big ones are there just got to know where they are, I am not familar with Bakersfield but know a lot of people that do fish it. I fish here in Palmdale and I have landed 2 fish over 50 lbs in one day over my 30 years. I have landed all different sizes. My biggest was 30.25 lbs. I am still waiting to get the 50 lber and I know that it is in there. I have fished all over and the lakes too, but I do love the aqueduct the most. If you don't mind I need information for my webisite for fishing locations for people who ask me. Will you help me with it. Sounds like you know the areas. Happy New Year and may you land the bigger one this year, wish we all get our size and goal of fish!:smiliegrd:
Stiper Bill

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
My goal was to always catch a 50 lber also Bill. Still my goal, but I don't fish as often as I used to. I bought a viciously fast motorcycle and love to ride that too, so my time is split, not to mention I am contemplating turbocharging the bike to eventually get close to 500HP.
I do love to fish the duct though. I can help with the locations if people are interested. You know as much as I do though, that to catch the big fish takes lots of time and effort and a little luck also.

#9 ·
Thanks Bill and Dan,

I really apreciate the advise, I hope to get out tomorrow morning and try my luck. Also wanted to say I like the web site Bill lots of good info. A friend told me to try and fish the bends that fish will hold there so I might try to fish one of the bends tomorrow or one of those other gates Dan mentioned. Will let you guys know how I did if my wife will let me out :bluegrin:. Happy new year to both of you, and thanks again.

#11 ·
I went out to those two gates a couple of nights ago, and got blanked. Not even a hit. I find January to be the toughest fishing month of the year in the duct though. I plan on spending a full 24 hours of fishing this weekend though, hitting up a bunch of spots.

StriperBill:
Does the state allow fishing where the water enters the aqueduct from the pipeline that comes from over the mountain (from Kern County, the last pumping plant (Edmonston, I believe or Wheeler Ridge, I get them confused). I've seen pictures of that area and it looks like a torrent of water coming out. I wonder if the stripers go up there to feed. I believe that would be in your area, right?

#20 ·
I went out to those two gates a couple of nights ago, and got blanked. Not even a hit. I find January to be the toughest fishing month of the year in the duct though. I plan on spending a full 24 hours of fishing this weekend though, hitting up a bunch of spots.

StriperBill:
Does the state allow fishing where the water enters the aqueduct from the pipeline that comes from over the mountain (from Kern County, the last pumping plant (Edmonston, I believe or Wheeler Ridge, I get them confused). I've seen pictures of that area and it looks like a torrent of water coming out. I wonder if the stripers go up there to feed. I believe that would be in your area, right?
Dan, it is only legal to fish areas that state walk in fishing only on the fence. Other areas are illegal.

#12 ·
dan s. i agree the aqueduct across from golf coase road is terible!!!
you from the bakersfield area??i have herd tales of monster fish from the taft area but have gone many times not even a hit!
try the new rage tail series from strike king the (rage shad) black and white color its an exelent top water bait stripers can resist the noise and action of this new bait!!
give it a try. if you are from the bakersfield area let mee know i will give you the location of another spot to try
good luck tight lines:walamatBanana:wtf is this thing a buger lama???:lff3:

#13 ·
J. Owen
I'll check those lures out. I don't use much topwater in the duct. It really isn't that often you get into a topwater bite. How have you been doing on big fish in the duct? In 2008, I didn't fish that often and my biggest was only 25 lbs or so. There isn't many spots in the duct that aren't known, but if you know a spot where you think there might be a 50 lber and want to divulge that information, fire away. hehe
I will probably concentrate my efforts this weekend up North, closer to San Luis Resevoir. I know a few spots up there, where there are some real slobs, just getting them to bite is the question.

#14 ·
you fished old river road at 166?
very good spot, not to much size but much quanity!!!
ive caught 10 fish in hour or soo on good days 5 pounds each if im acurated in my memory dont fish it much though i live central coast ca
so im about 2 hours from any part if the aqueduct.
but i try to get out there once a month to get away and relax
not so much durrin the sumer but to hot!:hot: still trying to get my 50+ pounder!!!!
any tips or hot spots arund the bakersfield area???:gob_icon_cheers:

#15 ·
Yeah, I have fished Old River quite often. There are two siphons within a half a mile of each other there. One that goes under Old River road and the other one is down river a half mile or so. I've caught a few big fish there, but nothing really big. I think the biggest was 15 lbs or so.

#16 ·
Hey guys well I never made it out over the weekend :10186:. So no report. I did want to say though that I drive over the duct every day on my way to work I cross it when it goes under the 119 (Taft HWY) near Tupman, and I always check the water as I drive over and it has not been moving at all the last few weeks. Is there any way to predict when the gates might be open?

#25 ·
csubmatt;

The only way to know about the gates are to go to the gates morning, noon, and nights at different times, to know when they open. I have a website and I just posted up part of the newspaper article that states the smelt are in the aqueduct and they are protected species and need to cut back on water flow. Just click on the link that is underlined that says aqueductfishing. The big fish do not make it through the pumping plants for sure, they get grounded up, small ones yes, big ones no. Here in my area, I use to post the gate openings and with now whats going on I can't due to the cut backs.

#17 ·
Im new to the site and would like to say hello out there,Iv been fishing for largemouth bass for years now and have been doing more and more striper fishing than ever the last couple years.Iv been wanting togo to the duct and was wondering if you stay in one spot and fish or walk for miles along side and does drop shot or texas rigging any kind of plastic work any help would be great.sorry guys i dont even know where to start to give i report

#18 ·
There are no set rules when it comes to fishing, and striper fishing is no different. If you want to trying dropshotting worms, give it a whirl. Some guys like me gate and siphon hop, but with the cost of fuel it gets more difficult all the time. I've also seen guys walk the duct, throwing rattletraps as they go or whatever else suits your fancy. I even tried bicycle trolling for awhile to try and cover lots of area. I used a side planer to try and keep the lure away from the bank and used human power to troll with. Wasn't too succesful at that, mainly cause of grawl on the roads, lots of obstacles along the way, and if you were going upstream compared to downstream, well you get the idea. Early in the morning sometimes you can get a striper or two to hit topwater also. Zara spooks or poppers. Don't forget gitzits, bucktails and big crankbaits worked extremely slowly. You can get native bait in the aqueduct, sculpins are legal and there is not so legal bait either. I won't go into that.
I went fishing yesterday at 3:30 and fished all night long execpt for an hour catnap. I hit several gates and siphons all the way from the golf course by taft almost to San Luis resevoir. Fishing was tough. I probably caught 6 fish or so, the two biggest around 6 lbs each, will be poached and eaten. I did hook into what felt like a very good fish, the type that feels like a log and just starts moving, but only had it on for less than 10 seconds and came uncoupled, so in reality I can't even guess its size. Hell, maybe i was a log.
Now for another catnap and I am going to go out another 4-5 hours or so tonight and see if I can get a biggun.

#21 ·
well i got a story to tell...it feels like weeks now Ive been reading and looking up all the info on the aqueduct and stripers.most of my info comes from word of mouth or the Western outdoors and its always the same report of good fishing to wide open and the search of new water and fish has me wanting to check it out for myself .its a 130 mile drive to the first spot so not the closest place to catch fish,i woke up early and headed out by myself with an idea.i went to old river and had no clue were to park except on the side of the road which i didnt like.i couldn't see the water yet and when i walked up and seen the duct and thought to my self "this is it"it looked like ah endless riverbed with no structure to fish.i walked down to what i think might be a gate and cast my lure to these buoys the water was clear and there was a slight current next cast i think i get tagged..what was that?did i get snagged on something?on the next cast and for thirty min was amazing i lost two and landed four the smallest one was around 4 lbs.i could hear the trucks passing by and in the middle of it all i just left the bite wide open worried of fishing an illegal area and trespassing i thought it might be best i go to somewhere i know you could fish when i got to the car i measured the two i kept the bigger being 24"1/4.i drove to the golf course i read this place is burnt out but its the only other place i know so i got there and now this looked like a real gate to me with current.there was one guy there so i cast out and start heading to wards the man and the gates.i talked to him for about 15 min i ask if your allowed to fish anywhere on the duct he says yes and then i tell him of my run into the stripers earlier in the morning he tells me he knows this spot has fished it with his son and knows where theres a place to park i told him since i could fish anywhere on the duct that i was heading back he says he wouldnt mind going down there,reels in his chovies and we both leave i was there about 30 min no bite old man said he was there 3 hours no bites.we get back to the first spot and 45 min not a bite i tell the man i was heading into the sun and i walked the river west towards a piling off in the distance i walk two ladders and another 30 min with no bites i got to this slight curve before the piling and the same thing i get tapped cast right back out same spot my biggest stripper ever this fish rocked me for some time using the current to her advantage and the coolest thing when i could see color there was a bigger stripper right next to her this is when the other usually tries to snatch the bait and the infamous two fish on one lure but swam of as i landed the one on guessing it was 7 lbs.i felt like a little boy but with no one around i tossed her back another tap and that was it i stayed there for an hour i headed back to the start.the old man was there and still without a bite i went to my car and got the fish from earlier to take some pics i headed back home with a smile.that night over a few beers with my Buddie i told him about my day at the duct hes hard core and almost a mention to me when it comes to fishing and after seeing the pictures and hearing about it we went right back the next morning another 230 mile round trip but what happened whered they go not a single bite even put in more time applied more skill used my best gear, different retrieve, different style. went to the golf course the nice old man was gone and with a new vibe we left the crowed at the golf course.went back to the first spot and fished the other side there was metal grading about 13 feet wide that went into the water from the side of the bank and seen life,it was some fry i snagged one what my buddy thought was a glass minnow they looked just like these minnows i brought to try dropshot changed rigs but no bites.so hit and miss nothing but where'd they go?thanks Dan its funny cause i tried to troll too and talked about some things you mentioned with my friend and hadn't seen your post till know you are hard core good luck to you.here r some pic of the fish i kept and things i used.i was wondering do the striper stay in one spot or roam miles up and down when the gates are open? or are they trapped in each section till the gates are open?can you fish the pump station near Taft and the one south before that?where are siphons and how do i know am at one?what do the sculpin look like any pics?thanks a bunch good luck out there:a_goodjob:

#23 ·
well i got a story to tell...it feels like weeks now iav been reading and looking up all the info on the aquduct and stripers.most of my info comes from word of mouth or the westrn outdoors and its always the same report of good fishing to wide open and the search of new water and fish has me wanting to check it out for myself .its a 130 mile drive to the first spot so not the closest place to catch fish,i woke up early and headed out by myself with an idea.i went to old river and had no clue were to park except on the side of the road wich i didnt like.i couldent see the water yet and when i walked up and seen the duct and thought to my self "this is it"it looked like ah endless riverbed with no structure to fish.i walked down to what i think might be a gate and cast my lure to these bueys the water was clear and there was a slight current next cast i think i get tagged..what was that?did i get snagged on something?on the next cast and for thirty min was amazing i lost two and landded four the smallest one was around 4 lbs.i could hear the trucks passing by and in the middel of it all i just left the bite wide open worried of fishing an illiegal area and tresspassing i thought it might be best i go to somewhere i know you could fish when i got to the car i messured the two i keept the bigger being 24"1/4.i drove to the golf course i read this place is burnt out but its the only other place i know so i got there and now this looked like a real gate to me with current.there was one guy there so i cast out and start heading towards the man and the gates.i talked to him for about 15 min i ask if your allowed to fish anywhere on the duct he says yes and then i tell him of my run into the stripers earlier in the morning he tells me he knows this spot has fished it with his son and knows where theres a place to park i told him since i could fish anywhere on the duct that i was heading back he says he wouldnt mind going down there,reels in his chovies and we both leave i was there about 30 min no bite old man said he was there 3 hours no bites.we get back to the first spot and 45 min not a bite i tell the man i was heading into the sun and i walked the river west towards a pieling off in the distace i walk two ladders and another 30 min with no bites i got to this slight curve befor the pieling and the same thing i get tapped cast right back out same spot my biggest stripper ever this fish rocked me for some time using the current to her advantage and the coolest thing when i could see color there was a bigger stripper right next to her this is when the other usally tries to snacth the bait and the infamouse two fish on one lure but swam of as i landed the one on guessing it was 7 lbs.i felt like a little boy but with no one around i tossed her back another tap and that was it i stayed there for an hour i headed back to the start.the old man was there and still without a bite i went to my car and got the fish from earlier to take some pics i headed back home with a smile.that night over a few beers with my buddie i told him about my day at the duct hes hard core and almost a mentior to me when it comes to fishing and after seeing the pictures and hearing about it we went right back the next morning another 230 mile round trip but what happend whered they go not a single bite even put in more time applied more skill used my best gear, diffrent retrive, diffrent style. went to the golf course the nice old man was gone and with a new vibe we left the crowed at the golf course.went back to the first spot and fished the other side there was metal grading about 13 feet wide that went into the water from the side of the bank and seen life,it was some fry i snagged one what my buddy thought was a glass minnow they looked just like these minnows i brought to try dropshot changed rigs but no bites.so hit and miss nothing but whered they go?thanks dan its funny cause i tried to troll too and talked about some things you mentioned with my friend and hadent seen your post till know you are hard core good luck to you.here r some pic of the fish i keept and things i used.i was wondering do the striper stay in one spot or roam miles up and down when the gates are open? or are they trapped in each section till the gates are open?can you fish the pump station near taft and the one south befor that?where are siphons and how do i know am at one?what do the sculpin look like any pics?thanks a bunch good luck out there:a_goodjob:
Hello rezzel562,
They do move around and they get caught up in areas between gates. Most will stay in schools they are eating machines and the duct is like the 14 fwy to them parading up and down. I have a picture of a sculpin on my website if you would like to take a look. Just type in search bar aquductfishing. Congrats to you and good job always knew there was nice fish out there. Rod tips up and tight lines.

#24 ·
Nice fish Rizzel!
I went out there the other night, but got the big skunk! I believe that small minnow you are holding is a silverside. The aqueduct is loaded with them. That would probably make a good fly pattern.
As far as stripers moving up and down the duct, they do, but they have limited mobility, that is, they can only move from pumping plant to pumping plant. I doubt a fish could make it through one of those big pumps when it is spinning. And there are three pumping plants in the grapevine area.
I think the reason why so many big fish have been caught over the years at the Taft Golf Course is because about three miles South of there is a pumping plant and the fish hit the end of the line there, and then move up to the Taft gates to feed. That is the first southerly pumping plant from the Dos Amigos pumping plant which would be about 150 miles away. The fish can freely roam (when the gates are open) the full 150 miles. Then from that pumping plant you have three more after that, the last one being Edmonston which pumps the water over the Tehachapi's.
Contrary to what the other guy told you about being able to fish anywhere on the aqueduct, that just isn't true. I believe you cannot fish within 1 mile of the pumping plants. Usually they have signs posted upstream of the pumping plants stating "No fishing beyond this point".
Striper fishing is addicting, and I can see you are excited about it. Especially driving that far to fish Old River Road. I usually drive approximately 200 miles North to fish a couple of my favorite spots.
I may go to Old River in the next couple of days, because I only live 20 miles from the spot, so I can buzz out there, fish a couple of hours, and come home.
Good luck with your striper fishing.

#27 ·
dans,thats alot of help and i apreicate it.i was wanting to think something like that i read your reply and it all made so much seance.i'm going to try and make it out there once a month and switch it up with palmdale every other trip in exchange for some other trips to try and balance it out $$ my inlaws live in fresno every time i go up there i fish and we have been going up there for the last 8 years now and always go to lots of water up north last year with fuel at almost $5 gal no delta or 152 trips and found a closer place maybe you have fished there in mendota its the last slough from the delta seems to have many names like mendota slough,fresno slough,mendota wild life or bass avenue lot of big fish taken from this place just wondering if youv been there?i leave to fresno two weeks from now and will drive right pass this place to fish the aquduct from dos amigos to firebaugh to bass ave thanks for the help again and good luck

#29 ·
Hi All,

Well I have a report. I was out at the duct on Thursday night and fished about an hour no bites. Then a young man from the other side of the duct told me that he was catching them on the other side of this bridge in the top foot or so of the water. So I moved over and threw out a rat-l-trap and I tried to keep it up in the top foot or so and with my second cast wham I got hit! I ended up landing four all good size and missed at least four more. Sorry no pictures I did not have a camera with me and I released them all, but I had one heck of a good time! Went back out to the same spot again today and did the same thing but had only one strike and I missed him. Anyway wanted to say thanks for all the tips and advice. Tight lines! :gob_icon_cheers:

#31 ·
Fished the duct last night, went to three or four sets of gates, and two siphons. Only caught one fish, approximately 5 lbs on a jig. Had another hit, but that was it.
Was going down a dirt road to a set of gates and it was muddy. An excavator had been working on the road beside the canal, and I slid off the road, into an almond tree, which was a year or two old. By the time I got out of that jam, I damaged my left running board, my left mirror, and left and almond tree for dead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.