Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Kiser Lake

Tags
kiser lake
9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  drjkl1 
#1 ·
Anyone have any success w/Wipers on Kiser Lake in OH? I'm told 2 things: 1) there are lots of good sized wipers in the lake (and the ODNR has stocked it alot), and 2) they love chicken livers there. Kiser is small, can't use any motors at all. I've tried chicken livers several times (what a skanky mess!) but no luck unless you count the numerous catfish and little bullheads, but nary a wiper. I'm told to try the bottom w/a slip rig & tried it from a boat drifting and from the shore: nada.

#2 ·
The state switched to stocking purebreds in 2005 in kaiser for brood stock for their London State hatchery. At 387 acres it is small and still has plenty of wipers in it. 150,000 were stocked in it since 1992.

Buckeye Lake 1989 - 2004 received 2.3 mill fingerlings
Charles Mills Lake 1997 - 2004 550K fingerlings
East Fork Lake 1983 - 2004 289K fingerlings 20.5 mill fry
Ohio River 1993 - 2004 4.8 mill

Cant help you with any real knowledge with this but the consensus is chicken livers on the bottom.
On the other lakes the suggestion is to try trolling in summer, Jigging or using night crawlers spring and fall. In East Fork they use live soft shelled crawfish when available. The forage base is shad so many anglers use cast nets and live line them. Jigs and surface stick baits when they are on top chasing shad.

All this info is second hand so I cant be of much help except to tell you not to give up. The hybrid likes the open water.

#4 ·
I talked to one of our state boys and he told me that the stripers that are being stocked are pure and that only males are being stocked. I don't know how they know the difference between males and females when they are so young unless they can control what will be hatched by controlling the temp. As far as catching them goes, the info that Jim provided is a good place to start. This is a brood stock lake and the stripers are used in the hybrid striper stocking program. Most of the hybrids will be stocked in the 4 lakes that Jim mentioned and the Ohio River.

You can't go wrong with live shad as bait. There are many ways to present the bait to the fish, but I would go with down lines if you are in a boat. In the late fall and early spring, I would go with flat lined shad behind the boat. Just troll them slowly. You will know when you get a bite!

#5 ·
Yeah, I got a few of the pure stripers last time out, maybe 4ish pounds at best, no wipers & haven't been back in a month I'd guess. Just went to an area near where the deep spot is and threw rattle traps at surface breaks & got a couple. I will have to work on netting shad to give that a try, but trolling is out since its a NMP lake. I've seen some pictures of nice fish taken from there & these guys obviosuly know there stuff, but I'm still fumbling around trying to find things that work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.