Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > The Gallows - Poachers Hall of Shame
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Gallows - Poachers Hall of Shame Poachers are exposed here. Federal wildlife officers association links to all poacher hotlines in the U.S.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I am motherf*ucker

Default In striped bass poaching cases, public help needed

Candus Thomson
Baltimore sun

January 10, 2011
Maryland
In striped bass poaching cases, public help needed

Let’s start with the technical part: A person is innocent until proven guilty.
Now let’s move to the obvious. With some people and their track records, that gets to be a tough stretch.
And now here are the facts that will be heard in court on March 2 in the case of People vs. Daniel Leroy Dierker.
On Jan. 5, Natural Resources Police charged Dierker, of Rock Hall, with catching striped bass even though his commercial license has been suspended until Jan. 18, 2012. That’s 2012.

NRP says Dierker, 32, was netting fish from his boat off Love Point when officers stopped him. Under the terms of his suspension, Dierker is banned from catching any type of finfish.
Since 1998, state court records show, Dierker has been charged with fishing violations by NRP more than 40 times, with his cases showing up in district courts on both sides of the Chesapeake Bay. In several instances, he was fined for not showing up for court.
A serial poacher, he has been found guilty of not having a license, harvesting oysters in a prohibited area, taking undersized oysters, catching both oversized and undersized striped bass, crabbing on a day off and disobeying a police officer. He has failed to check in his catch, as required by state regulation, and mutilated his catch so that it could not be measured by officers.
Last year, he was fined $2,360 in Kent County District Court for seven violations.
And still, he fishes on. He doesn’t even stop when a judge orders him to stop.
Clearly, the system needs a little support.
The state’s attorney for Queen Anne’s County is Lance G. Richardson. It would be nice if he had a fist full of letters from concerned citizens to show the judge on March 2. His email is lrichardson@qac.org.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Default Re: In striped bass poaching cases, public help needed

email sent
Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 PM
First Mate

e-mail sent
Old 01-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Official Member

Jim...Do you want emails or snail mail to show in court..If so post the address info....thanks,Jim By the way...hope you had great holidays...
Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

gregorjim, this thread is a year old.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Official Member

Sorry !! Read it a little in the AM...My mind doesn't function good at that time.. Sent a email to State Att.Richardson's office to apoligize for previous letter & requested a brief outcome of the case..I'll post it here , when I get it...Jim
Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Official Member

Got areply from State Att, office concerning Dierker's case outcome. Guess Leroy showed up in court with poor wife & Kids hanging on to impress the judge..& it worked.. the Att office asked to not post outcome, but I can tell you this..He was given 12 yrs & appealed...Finally got 6 days in jail...Paid $1,000 for bail...Only paid $180 plus $140 for court costs....Probation = 18 months....This for a guy thats been caught over 40 times...doesn't show up in courts etc...I wondered how he was out of jail after 40 arrests...The judge is at fault comepletely...Guess he's not a fisherman?? And the game goes on & On.....How long before he gets caught again......Jim
Old 01-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Ugh.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:14 AM
Official Member

Got the name of the judge on this case...He was a visiting judge that ruled on the case..Iv'e written him asking for his explaination as to his linient judgement on Dierkers case...Waiting for reply...Will post it.....Jim
Old 02-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Official Member

Default 18" size limit: If fish won't survive, can it be kept if undersized?

Hello all,

Apologies if this topic has been discussed..I caught one a few weekends ago that completely swallowed the hook, in a bad way. Once I got it out of the water it was bleeding profusely, and though I am certain it wouldn't have lived, I cut the line (hook still in the fish) and let the little 14" go. He ended up just floating in the water and slowly drifted downcurrent, and I'm sure he became a meal for some seagulls!

What is best way to go about this? Keep, throw back, report to DFG, etc..? If you are "100% confident" the fish is not going to live, is it okay to keep undersized fish in this case? Don't want to break any regulations/laws, but also don't want to waste a good catch either. I live in California and striper fish throughout the central valley. Always do my best to respect my catches but I have had this happen a few times, not just with striper.

Any replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Saying that you didn't think the fish would survive if released is not going to get you out of trouble if you get caught. Obey the law and release it, then switch to circle hooks when bait fishing to help minimize the chances of that happening again
Old 02-10-2012, 03:17 AM
Official Member

Thanks for the reply Jake. Never used circle hooks but think I understand how to use them. These are the type where you do not want to set the hook right?

I'll look into using these. Thanks again for the tip!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Official Member

Angry Re: In striped bass poaching cases, public help needed

I'm still waiting for reply from judge...Guess he feels, he's above public scrutiny. He's surely not on my christmas list...Jim