Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Hudson River Depth Chart

26K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Reel Force 
#1 ·
I have tried looking for a depth chart for the river but have had no luck, anyone now a site or have one saved that can share. The reason I ask is because I fish only from shore and I don't know the river very well so I'm basically stuck to fishing areas like one pier so far, and I'm looking for deeper waters now thats beginning to get warmer, any help will be appreciated, thanks.

#2 ·
you can always get them on line there's also Royco Marine in Wappengers that sells them for about 25 bucks. But whats your opinion of deep water? As from shore unless your up north or just north of the Bear Mt Bridge averages 35 ft to 50 ft up to Say West Points North Dock 165 ft plus you not going to get to more than 20 ft from shore and thats at high tide:sydan:

#3 ·
Thanks grit ,I guess what I'm trying to find are the deepest parts around my way that a reachable from shore like this I could try and find some spots to wet a line other than the one I've been fishing. I found a chart a while back online but cant seem to find it any more.

#7 ·
opposite of the tip of Croton pt PARK there's a rock out crop w/a warning light just down to the tip of land of croton Pt Park called tellers pt its a short cast to where it drops off from 10 ft depths to 30 ft by the warning device and runs to 25 directly opposite that Pt.

And if you can get out onto the Piermont Pier and cast out to the right it looks like a small channle of water running 21 ft at the piers edge to about 16 ft just to the north of the green bouy No.7. Those are tyhe deepest parts of the river from Stony PT down to Piermonat on the Rockland side

#9 ·
I bought a nice topo map from Walmart "Fishing Hot Spots" brand. It shows Hudson River from Kingston to Coxsackie. I think it was ~$25
the only problem with those is that they are older unless they reprinted them this year, I haven't checked. the lakes are pretty accurrate but the river has so much current it could have changed a good amount since the last time that book was printed but everything should be relatively close just dont use the book religiuosly if you are out on a boat just watch for warning bouys and if you are not sure be very careful or dont chance it.

#15 ·
Re: Huson River Depth Chart

NOAA charts should be quite accurate but do read at the lowest level it historically gets to add a margin of safety . After all it's for ships not us fishermen. It will usually be a few feet deeper but you still get the contours and structures which is what you really want .
Try a free app called Simple Navigator. You have to download your own charts but it works and I used it on Champlain for 5 years now. It can be a PITA dealing with the maps though so you might be better off just buying an app. or Simple Navagators paid version which I think is 10.
If you hit the smaller lakes NOAA is useless because they don't exist . From what I have read NAVIONICS offers their charts and the sonar charts for 10/year and 5 afterwards for updates. Much better contour coverage than NOAA Raster charts. You can hop on their web site and check out the free map representations to scout locations. Easy to use looks pretty handy. Just beware those prices are what they told me a couple days ago and I haven't set up or bought mine yet as I am out of the country so take it for what it's worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.